Sunday, August 24, 2008

Puddy Updates

Hello everyone!

First of all, let me say that Puddy is doing fine. Having said that, things could have gone better. When he was released, he had SERIOUS swelling on his surgery area. In fact, when he came out I asked the nurse if his hoo-has were actually gone! She assured me that the swelling was normal and would go down with antibiotics and other meds he was given.

All went well last night: he slept through the night, and was able to eat some food. That morning, we started the antibiotics (Clavamox) and other meds. However, he was unable to keep any food down all day and also experienced diarrhea. After that, I took him to the doggie emergency room. He didn't appear to have any ill effects from the surgery (i.e., no soreness, normal appetite, normal energy), so we thought it might have been unrelated. He was two pounds lighter on Saturday when we took him in than he was on Friday when he got snipped.

The good news is that he didn't have to stay the night. The bad news is that the vet thinks the antibiotic was causing him some upset stomach, so we have to keep him off of food (for 24 hours) and water (for 12 hours) to let his stomach settle, and then get him back on the antibiotics with a bland diet. If he throws up again, we have to switch meds. Regarding his swelling, the vet was actually more concerned with that than the vomiting. He thinks that during the surgery they missed a vein and now he has a slight hematoma "down there". This makes the antibiotic situation CRUCIAL, since he has to keep those down (and have the right kind) in order to avoid a more serious problem from infection.

It's not as bad as I'm making it sound, but I'll admit that with my reservations going into the surgery, this is doing nothing to ease my mind. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens.

Have a happy day!


Rachel said...'s ok. I know it's stressful, but it will be alright. When Winston had his surgery, he had an abdominal surgery because his hoo-ha hadn't dropped yet....well, the vet didn't want to give him an E-collar, despite the fact that I told them over and over he would mess with his stitches.....anyways, needless to say he pulled out one of his stitches making the whole thing 100% more complicated, causing an infection, necessitating two different types of antibiotics and a doubly long recovery time, etc etc.
Hm. Anyways, the point of my story is - stuff always happens, but it works out just fine. So good luck and I hope Puddy is feeling better soon.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh puddy! ouchie! i am so glad he is ok. that sounds like a uncomfortable time for everyone. He is so lucky to have you. What a great family!
feel good puddy! i will check in later to see how he is feeling today.
m & e

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Paws khrossed so Puddle's people khan khalm down!

It is so furry nice that our people worry fur us!!

Please keep us posted!!!


Clover said...

I hope Puddy is feeling better soon and that the meds work with no more throwing up.
I'll be thinking of you!
Love Clover xo

happy said...

Just dropping in from DWB to say hi! Sorry to hear you're unwell. Keeping paws crossed you'll feel better soon.

Lex said...

Poor Puddy!
I hope he feels better!

Nevis said...

Awww....Poor Puddy!!! Well, I hope everything heels up and that everything goes well. Rukia is due for her girlie surgery for spaying and I hope she has no problems...! I will keep Puddy in my prayers, though!